There’s a nice blog post from the Avasthi Lab on key points for students meeting their advisor. I agree with these points and refer you to the post here:
They are quickly summarized here, but go read the more detailed ideas at the original post:.
- Use time wisely, bring an agenda of items you want to discuss
- Remind your advisor what was last discussed to get the discussion up to speed quickly.
- Be disciplined with time, stick to the schedule
- Include non-scientific topics if needed: lab problems, people issues, personal/health
- Don’t focus on proving that you’ve been working, partner to be successful.